Rice is so nice for many reasons. There are so many options and is a staple for many popular casserole dishes. My favorite thing about rice, is when it is left over from the night before.
This is when Mom makes her famous, Old-Fashioned Rice Custard.
Mom's Old Fashioned Rice Custard
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup light raisins
- Step 1 Break eggs into a 2-quart buttered casserole and beat slightly with a fork.
- Step 2 Add milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Blend well.
- Step 3 Stir in rice and raisins.
- Step 4 Set casserole in pan of water.
- Step 5 Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring once after 1/2 hour of baking.